Please pack carefully. Less is better than more! Campers clothes will be kept in a footlocker. They will have a shelf that holds personal items like a hair brush, a toothbrush, a flashlight, and writing materials. Laundry will be done once a week and will be returned after 24 hours.
Footlockers are a necessary item to contain clothing and belongings. Our preferred model C&N Footlockers The Happy Camper, is available through EverythingSummerCamps.com. You may borrow a gently used footlocker from Wyonegonic at no fee, supplies may be limited, arrangements should be made in advance. No footlockers are shipped out of the country at the end of the season. Winter storage of footlockers and camp clothes is permissible, there is a $50 storage fee.
Baggage Shipping: Advance planning for shipping baggage is important. Footlockers are not permitted on camp chaperoned buses or vans. We encourage you to use The Mailing Center for shipping to and from camp. The mailing center service uses UPS (United Parcel Service) for delivery. There is a simple process to create an account and have your parcel picked up at home and delivered to camp. On departure, the mailing center will collect all parcels prearranged for pickup. This service expedites baggage shipping and reduces the cost of shipping compared to items shipped without prearrangement that are billed through the Wyonegonic Camper Account. This is the same system used by our brother camp Winona.
We furnish all bedding, this includes, sheets, blankets and pillows. Many campers choose to bring a soft fleece blanket or comforter to put on top of their beds to make it more personalized. Valuable bedding should be left at home as camp beds are metal and can cause rips in fragile materials. If you send personal sheets with your camper please remember that laundry is gone for at least 24 hours. Bath towels are necessary but we suggest that large, thick beach towels be left at home as they are difficult to dry on our clothes-lines under the shade of the trees.
Sundries: Complimentary replacement items such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, pens, stationery, postcards, flashlights and batteries (AA and AAA) are available during the summer. Camera supplies are not available.
Suggestions for Trips:
- Sleeping Bags: Many campers will choose to get involved in the tripping program beyond the “cabin overnight” and therefore, a sleeping bag that compacts into a stuff sack is recommended.
- Backpacks: Day packs (school sized book packs) are helpful for day hikes. For campers choosing to do extensive overnight backpacking, a sturdy frame pack that includes a hip belt is recommended.
- Footwear: Sturdy running shoes or low top hikers are appropriate on most day hikes. Hiking boots with ankle support are necessary for backpacking and more extensive hikes. Make sure the boots are broken in before camp. These boots can also service your child well for rainy or wet days around camp. For canoe trips, sport sandals or water shoes with heel support are practical e.g. Tevas, Keens, or Chacos.
- We require all envelopes be white for our postage meter, envelopes must meet the standard size dictated by postal regulations.
- Leave all valuables at home – jewelry, money, cell phones, electronics, tablets, etc.
- We suggest a disposable camera as there is no place for campers to recharge batteries.
- Make sure your name is on everything. Bring extra name labels. Mark everything including toothbrush, and flashlight (Scotch tape over a name tape works well).
- All medicines must be under the care of the nurses locked in the Health Center.
- Illegal drugs are not allowed in camp.
- We are a tobacco free environment at camp and want you to know that only non-smokers have been hired on staff. Campers are expected to follow the same policies.
Other items to consider bringing:
- Rest hour activities. Suggestions include books, arts and crafts, quiet games (cards), writing materials.
- Include one favorite stuffed animal for your bed.
- Musical instruments and sheet music.
- Tennis balls and racquet.
- Age appropriate books to read. Please keep magazines and games in good taste.
- It is a good idea to bring mosquito lotion or stick. Aerosol sprays are not allowed, as they are environmentally unfriendly and flammable near campfires.
Items Not to bring:
- No electronic items; the cabins do not have electricity. There is no way to recharge any battery powered device.
- Make-up and/or Aerosol sprays of any kind
- No need to bring a pocket knife (we have all necessary equipment in our camping department)
- Food and candy is not permitted. Please inform your family and friends that anything sent in the mail will be returned to the sender. (Or eaten by staff!)
- There is no room in the cabins for clutter. As parents, please monitor the packing process. Shipping rates are expensive so lighten your load. We do not allow sets of drawers, posters or more than one stuffed animal, etc.
Thanks for appreciating our focus on non-material things. People and the beauty of the outdoors, will make your daughter’s summer a valuable experience.