All staff must contact the Wyonegonic Office and let us know your travel plans. Please do this as soon as you make your travel arrangements. With advance notice, we will pick you up in Portland, Maine, which is an one hour drive from Wyonegonic. We prefer flights or buses that arrive in the afternoon so we can coordinate pickups. Arrivals after 8pm are discouraged. If planning round trip travel for departures at the end of the summer, note that departures from Portland prior to 9am are discouraged.
International Staff: Please refer to your visa agency travel instructions as it varies by country and category. Once you know your arrival destination airport use the information below for instructions on how to get to Portland, Maine where we will pick you up!
The following phone numbers and websites are provided to help you find transportation to camp. Portland is serviced by air, bus, and rail.
- Portland International Jetport: (Airport code PWM). Portland, Maine is one hour from camp, pickups by Wyonegonic provided with advance notice. Portland has connections from most major airline, bus and rail hubs. Check Jetblue and AirTran for discount flights directly into Portland.
- Boston Logan International Airport: (Airport code BOS). Boston, Massachusetts is an easy two hour bus ride to Portland directly from the airport terminals on Concord Coachlines (see below). Boston has nonstop flights on most major airlines from points within the US and some International routes.
- New York Airports: (Newark, LaGuardia, JFK) are seven hours away by bus or one and a half hours by air. Jetblue now offers direct flights from JFK directly to Portland. Transfer from NY airports to New York City Port Authority Bus Terminal to catch the Greyhound Bus to Portland (bus transfers in Boston).
- Look for web fare discounted flights on sites like Expedia or Orbitz or Jetblue.
- If applicable, ask for a student fare
Arrive a day or two early, if it helps lower your fare.
Do Not Arrive Late!
From Boston (North Station): The Downeaster Railservice. Amtrak: (800) USA-RAIL
From New York (Penn Station): Amtrak: (800) USA-RAIL. (Must transfer trains & stations in Boston.)
Bus Tips – Do not purchase a roundtrip ticket as you may be able to find a ride out of camp at the end of the summer with a counselor or friend. Travel plans often change as you meet people to travel with!
From Boston to Portland (South Station or Logan Airport): Concord Coach Lines Information Center: (800) 639-3317
From Boston to Portland (South Station): Megabus (best discounts are with advance planning)
From New York to Portland (Port Authority Bus Station): Greyhound Fare & Schedule Information: (800) 229-9424 1
Please refer to your agreement packet for details on if you qualify for reimbursable travel expenses to get to camp. This varies by region and receipts are required for reimbursement.